Jump Right In

This blog is beginning in medias res. At the moment, I’m about halfway through The Lord of the Rings (should I even mention the title The Two Towers? Despite my lifelong impression of LOTR trilogy as just that - a trilogy - it seems from my recent LOTR content consumption that I’ve been misinformed about how to properly reference it).To organize for myself, here’s the breakdown as I currently understand it:


The Lord of the Rings

   Intended as one story organized into six “books,” all published in one volume

    Per publisher’s with and with J.R.R. Tolkien’s hesitant permission, published in three volumes of two “books” each 


The Fellowship of the Ring

    Contains “books” I and II


The Two Towers

    Contains “books” III and IV


The Return of the King

    Contains “books” V and VI


In summary, I am two-thirds of the way through Book III out of VI, which is also about halfway through Volume II out of III, and also about halfway through the story (remember, I said “in summary,” not “to simplify”).


The periods of my experience-to-date have, mostly, fallen into four broad categories:

“I Feel Like I Should Be Smoking A Pipe Right Now”

There is an undeniable feeling of importance that permeates this whole experience of reading this story. It is impossible to forget the fact(?) that this is the most important fantasy story of all time. I know how long it took for Tolkien to write and publish these words. I know how much background information is available on every person, place, thing, or idea mentioned, and I know that there are thousands of people who would absolutely love to discuss them. It’s freeing, in a way, to let go of any idea that I should be having a “pure” read-through without outside knowledge to affect it - that kind of experience isn’t possible for me at this point. Instead, I am contextualizing every single thing I’ve ever learned, thought, heard, or assumed about this story. It’s like I’m getting the same history lesson that Frodo gets in “The Shadow of the Past.” There are things about Bilbo that he thinks he knows. These things are, invariably, fleshed out and given helpful context. There are also things that he has no idea he would ever need to know. These things wash over him, fill him with wonder, and give him misgivings about where he’s headed. It’s daunting and wonderful. 

This category houses basically all of my experience of reading about the Shire. The Shire theme from the LOTR movies was in my head, and it felt as though every Took, Brandybuck, and Sackville-Baggins was inhabiting a place I was nostalgic for without ever visiting. I know how much darkness (literal and metaphorical) I’m in store for, and it’s a treat to find introduction to Middle Earth through the charms and flaws of the hobbits.

“I’m Bored, But In A Fun Way”

This is the category where I put most of what I’m choosing to characterize as “classic fantasy stuff.” The elevated dialogue, flowery descriptions, and slow pace keep reminding me of other “classics” that I’ve read. They’re not a negative - they’re just not what I’m used to after investing time more purposefully in modern fantasy. So, I’m embracing them. I’m assuming that I will look back on reading them fondly, and that’s been plenty of reassurance so far.

“I Think I Get It”

This category contains my experience with reading basically every iconic moment that I’ve come to so far. Frodo and Sam leaving the Shire. Meeting Strider at the Prancing Pony. Every interaction with the Nazgûl.”Fly, you fools!” The entire “Lothlorien” chapter. The Riders of Rohan. Treebeard. Okay, not Treebeard, but I did enjoy meeting him. My internal voice didn’t take as long to say his lines as he does in the movies. Basically, I read these moments and I know that they’re good. It’s like hearing Josh Groban sing or watching highlights of Joe Montana passing to Jerry Rice. Wherever your enjoyment level is, it’s tough to argue that the material isn’t objectively good. I feel connected to the millions of other people who have read the words. It’s a great feeling, and I love knowing that more is coming.

Please, Dear God, No More Geography

This category is the catch-all for all periods that don’t fit in with the first three. This is the case because, so far, everything has happened in preparation for, during, or in recuperation from a period of extended traveling across the landscape. I know that this journey is necessary, and I know that the payoff will be great, but it’s tough to care about every single hillock and dale.


So, that’s what I’m thinking about what I’m reading. Will this be the last blog post? Judging by my performance in journaling over the course of my life, the answer is, probably, “No.” That doesn’t mean, though, that that second post won’t come after six months have passed. Time will tell!


Quotation for the road:

“There is a seed of courage hidden (often deeply, it is true) in the heart of the fattest and most timid hobbit, waiting for some final and desperate danger to make it grow.” - LOTR, Book I, Chapter VIII

Comments